Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna
Another one of my favourites. Easy to make for potlucks and parties as it requires no cooking
and can be made ahead (actually better if it's made in advance!). Can be individually
portioned, frozen, and brought for lunches or picnics. Thaws out beautifully.
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white rum
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups strong coffee (adjust strength to taste)
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp white rum or Baileys
24 Savorai ladyfinger biscuits (available at fine grocers)
Unsweetened cocoa for dusting
- Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar with electric mixer until light yellow and thick. (Ribbon stage.)
- Add rum and mascarpone cheese. Mix slowly until incorporated; beat at medium high until thoroughly
combined and creamy.
- Cover and chill.
- In separate bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form (no more, you don't want butter).
- With rubber spatula, gently fold in ~1/2 cup whipped cream. Add remaining cream and fold in
- Cover and chill until ready to assemble.
- Prepare soaking mixture by mixing together coffee, sugar, and rum or Baileys until sugar
- To assemble, dip 12 Savorai individually into soaking mixture and quickly place in single layer,
onto bottom of serving dish(es).
- Top with half of filling.
- Sieve cocoa on top of filling.
- Repeat layers.
- Wrap carefully and chill overnight, or freeze for tomorrow' lunch.